Kent School is an independent college preparatory boarding school serving grades 9-12, with a post-graduate option. We are guided by our motto — Simplicity of Life, Directness of Purpose, Self-Reliance — to educate our students intellectually, socially, ethically, and spiritually so that they will be prepared to contribute to the common good in the world beyond Kent School.
Kent School is an intentional community with a central focus on equipping students with the skills that will empower them to make an impact on the broader world. We call these skills the Kent School Competencies, and they are taught in every context of our shared life—in our classrooms, in St. Joseph’s Chapel, on the stage, in our dormitories, on our playing fields, courts, rink, and river. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3Pm3pTZ58
- Active Empathy. The skill necessary not only to see and understand another’s perspective, but also to act in ways that advance mutual understanding.
- Servant Leadership: Understanding leadership as service to others.
- Critical and Creative Thinking: The ability to assess both quantitative and qualitative information critically, create knowledge from it, and apply that knowledge to novel contexts.
- Effective Communication: The ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms,
- Engaged Citizenship: Understanding and fulfilling one’s responsibilities to individuals in a community and to the community itself.